Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

I will look for him

THE Lord often conceals himself from his people. He leaves them, that they may learn the value of his presence, their dependence upon him, and their impotence without him. When he withdraws their comfort declines, their prospects are beclouded, then- enemies are lively, and their fears are often strong. They feel desolate, depressed, and alone. And except Satan beguile them, or the things of time entangle them, they begin at once to go in search of him. They look for him in the works of his hands; in the dispensations of providence; in the ordinances of his house; in the pages of his word; and especially in the closet, where they pour out their hearts. They go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but they cannot perceive him; on the left hand where he doth work, but they cannot behold him; he hideth himself on the right hand, that they cannot see him. Then they passionately cry, " Oh that I knew where I might find him!" Disappointed, and dispirited, they fear, fret, and perhaps complain; but they cannot give up, still they cry, " I will look for Mm."

   Disconsolate, forsook,
    Jesus, for thee I look:
Only thou my heart canst cheer,

    Comfort with thyself restore;
Show thyself the Comforter,

    Come, and never leave me more.

No comments:

Post a Comment