Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thy mercy, O Lord, held me up

WE are at best poor tottering creatures, never fit to be left alone for one moment. And then the road we have to travel is dangerous, and the path often slippery. One incautious step involves us in many long and severe troubles. Nor are we ever sure, but that our foot may next be placed on ice. Circumspection, therefore, is absolutely necessary; but circumspection alone is not sufficient to preserve us. The prayer of David is always suitable. Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually. The moment we take our eye off the Lord, Satan redoubles his efforts to trip us up. The Psalmist felt himself going; he cried, "My foot slippeth!" and mercy stepped forward, and caught him before he was down. That mercy can uphold us. It is our friend. It is pledged to us in the promise. But it must be sought. It must be honoured with a place in our minds. It must also be trusted. We must daily feel that we need to be upheld, that we have no claim upon, God, that we can look to mercy alone to uphold; and living under these convictions, we shall trust in the mercy of the Lord for ever.
  
Who loves me so well, my Helper has been.
And saved me from hell, and s:ived me from sin
His gracious protection I joyfully prove,
His strength of affection, his feelings of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment