Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Haters of God

WHAT an awful charge to be brought against any of God's creatures; and yet it was brought against the Jews by our Lord, of whom he said, " He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin; but now they have both seen and hated both me and my Father." It is here also brought against the Gentiles. Indeed every unconverted man is a hater of God, for " the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." This is self-evident; for if a man hate God, every thing he does must be offensive to God. But every man by nature hates God, and therefore every thing he does is displeasing to God. The feeling of hatred may not be discovered, because there may be ignorance of God, or forgetfulness of him; but in proportion as he is' known and thought of, while the heart remains carnal, he is hated. This shows the need of regeneration, the absolute necessity of being born again. For until we are renewed in the spirit of our minds, we shall never be reconciled to God.
  
Let me love thee more and more.
If I love at all, I pray I
If I have not loved before,
Help me to begin to-day.